Sunday, May 22, 2005

Cheerio!

I made it to London! When I got to the terminal in Los Angeles, I could hardly sit still from excitement. The plane was HUGE....it had a staircase up to first class (they call it "upper class"), beds in the front and TV's for every seat. As I was walking onto the plane with one of the other girls from the program (Adrienne), I saw a police officer walking with a passenger and assumed he was some British rockstar. NOPE, he was a criminal. The cop handed an attendant information about how to manage a parolee or something.....it was quite amusing and a bit scary. The "rockstar" incident didn't stop me from being excited though and I ended up staying awake for the entire 10 hour flight despite numerous attempts to sleep...I experienced some serious jetlag the next day for that.

Anyway, London is amazing and I couldn't be happier. The weather here is a lot like it is in Seattle, so basically I am freezing. With all the walking that we have to do though, I have managed to keep pretty warm. Yesterday we visited Westminster Abbey and had lunch at a local pub where everyone was watching an intense football game (yes, yes, I mean soccer). The waiters seemed a bit annoyed that we were distracting them from the TV to get some food. I guess there are a ton of big football games going on right now.....? I am kind of clueless in that area. At night we walked to The Globe Theatre and saw an amazing production of Pericles.

Today has been pretty tame because I am still getting over being so sleepy. We went to Saint John's Cathedral this morning to watch the choir boys sing. The church is amazing, especially when the sun comes out for a moment and shines through the stained glass. After that we walked to Hyde Park to watch some people rant at Speaker's Corner where anyone can discuss issues and basically scream at each other in public. Lunch was a sausage-ish thing as usual and then we wandered around London looking for a coat for me.

Well, it seems my half hour at this internet cafe is up. I miss you Mom, Dad, Sean and Mike and I hope everything is going well! Kisses and hugs!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you on the phone today and to read the update on the first days activities.......cherrio!!!

Anonymous said...

hey darby
whuts up??!!!@$@$#
yer fullla chum. eye gtg c u l8r.

Anonymous said...

Hi Darby, your jacket and my warmer are on their way. You should get them at 12 noon on Wednesday!!!

Sean is not getting better, still in bed and his tonsils are humongous!!! Celebrating both boys' birthdays on Saturday. Have a great week. We are so enjoying your first impressions. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Darb!! We are going to Midevil Times in Buena Park for the big birthday dinner. Mike is bringing three friends and Sean six!!! It should be fun. Love you, Mom